The primary objective of eTryOn is to revolutionize the interaction between users (i.e. fashion designers, lovers and consumers) and fashion items, by researching and developing technologies that allow virtual try-ons of garments. In this direction, the main research, innovation and technological endeavors of eTryOn are to develop technology for
- Generating personal photorealistic 3D avatars of the user by self-scanning themselves,
- Automatically simulating the interaction between the 3D user avatars and digital garments (i.e. size fitting and visualization of interactions during body movements),
- Extracting fashion insights from user preference data and generating fashion recommendations.
By combining the high-quality experience offered by photorealistic personal avatars, their natural interaction with virtual garments, and the accurate fashion insights/recommendations with the use of interactive technologies like Virtual/Augmented reality, eTryOn provides future interactive solutions for Human Fashion Interaction, enhancing the way users experience fashion items in a novel immersive form. More specifically, three novel interactive solutions for three existing experiences will be developed:
- The designer app (creative experience): a VR application targeting fashion designers, facilitating them throughout the creative process of garment design by offering realistic fitting of the digital garments on photorealistic 3D avatars,
- The DressMeUp app (social experience): a mobile application for social media users (e.g. Instagram influencers), allowing them to virtually change their outfit in an image/video by selecting from a pool of digital garments and then upload it to social media,
- The Magic Mirror app (shopping experience): a mobile-based AR magic mirror enabling virtual tryons of garments during online shopping that aims to recreate at home the experience of buying clothes from a physical store.